I believe that this group – those at bands 6, 7 and 8a – are often undervalued, underestimated, and misunderstood within NHS organisations.
Senior managers are faced with mounting CIP/ QIPP requirements, Future-Focussed Finance, the need to transform their service offerings, support integrated ways of working, reduce running costs, etc, etc, etc. However, to implement any new way of working they are reliant on their middle managers. These are the ones who join everything up – the engine room of the Finance function!
Middle managers often feel that they are struggling to meet the expectations of senior management whilst also keeping their teams motivated.
They often feel ‘stereotyped’ by senior management, treated as though they are only capable of doing the job (or working in the function) they are currently working in. They may wish to develop their skills in other areas of the Finance function, yet not be supported in this by senior managers.
Middle managers often feel they are not taken seriously.
All of the above can impact their confidence. They are busy delivering what is expected of them, which their line managers may be happy with, but there is insufficient discussion on how they can develop their careers. The impact on their self-esteem can mean they have just not been proactive in raising their issues with senior managers.
Many middle managers have, over a period of years, become disenfranchised, feeling unfulfilled in their careers.
Are you an NHS Finance person at band 6, 7 or 8a?
If so, does ANY of the above resonate with you?
If you answer ‘yes’ to both of the above questions, have you considered this?
- As far as we know, we only live once. This is no dress rehearsal, it is the real thing!
- We spend a significant proportion of our lives at work and therefore it is important we feel fulfilled in this area of our lives. Remember also that, depending on your current age and likely retirement age, you may have quite a few years of working life still remaining. You deserve these to be good years that you and your loved ones will be proud to look back on in years to come.
- You cannot change what has happened in the past, you can only change what happens now and in the future. I love this quote “Have the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, the courage to change what can be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
- You now have the choice of either:
- Being courageous (in the words of the above quote), taking a first action TODAY to take charge of your future; or
- Accepting your current situation, doing nothing and allowing other people to determine your future for you.
We all have free will, so this choice is entirely yours.
If your choice is to take action, I would love to hear from you. As your first action, go to the ‘Contact Me’ page of this site and send me a message NOW.
I work with people just like you, to help you take charge of your career, to get the job you want, and to get the feelings of achievement and confidence that come from having taken control, without you ever having to do anything that makes you feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable.
This is about helping you find the best version of yourself, not asking you to become someone else!!
You will know you are just as good as anyone else, will feel pride in having decided what you want and having made it happen, will enjoy your work life, and will feel calmly confident in the knowledge that you will have learned tools and techniques that you will be able to use again in future should you wish to. This will enable you to continue to develop, grow, and enjoy.
So, go to the ‘Contact Me’ page of this site and send me a message NOW.
Hang on, I know what you’re thinking!! You think that if you send me a message, I’ll flood your in-tray with emails, promotions, or put you under pressure to buy something. Well I hate those sort of tactics too, so you don’t need to worry about that.
Or maybe you’re thinking you can’t message me because funding will be an issue? Don’t worry about that either, you are getting way ahead of yourself!
All I am asking is that, if the above resonates with you, send me a message and let’s make a connection. Pure and simple, nothing else.
So what are you waiting for??!!……………………….
Go to the ‘Contact Me’ page of this site and send me a message NOW.